Do you know what obstructive sleep apnea is? If not, then you are in the right place! Obstructive sleep apnea can be harmful to your oral health and your total health. In fact, the lack of oxygen in your body can lead to an entire host of problems for your future.
Our dentists, Dr. Norma Cortez, can help you with your sleep apnea concerns. That is why our team at Cape Fear Smiles in Wilmington, North Carolina, is happy to explain more about sleep apnea and the common risks associated with it.
Obstructive sleep apnea, also known as OSA, is a chronic condition that affects your breathing when you sleep. This condition is dangerous because it restricts your airflow in your body and can lead to other serious conditions in your body that should not be ignored.
Although OSA can affect adults and children of all ages, there are some factors to consider that significantly improve your chances of having it. Here are some increased risk factors for obstructive sleep apnea:
– Age: OSA is most common in people over forty.
– Excess weight: Fat deposits around your throat and upper airway can make it more difficult for you to breath at night.
– Men: Men have a higher chance of developing this condition than women according to medical studies.
– Alcohol: Alcohol is known to relax your body and muscles, including your throat and airway passages.
– Smoking: Smoking causes inflammation and irritates your airway.
– Narrowed airway: Enlarged tonsils or a naturally narrow throat can cause this condition.
If you are suffering from sleep apnea seek help right away. The lack of sleep in your body alone can cause problems with your health for both you and your partner. If you have questions about your condition, please call us at 910-763-0931 to make an appointment. We are always happy to help you.